Being surrounded by great friends at uni means that I spend more time with them. Luckily in Oxford, there are plenty of choices of places to go! Here is a run-down of what happens in my head whenever I have to make a decision about where to head to.
- Chill atmosphere
- Mostly close to my room
- Drinks aren’t too expensive
- Don’t have to dress up
- You’re forced to make small talk
- Depending on where you sit, you often can’t hear the next person talk
- Tables are usually a bit grim
- Great for dancing – gets those endorphins going
- If chosen well, exposes you to great new music
- Best experienced tipsy
- Usually a fun atmosphere
- You don’t have to be talking to experience connection with someone
- Gives you an excuse to dress up
- Everything’s usually sticky
- (As girls) we get hit on
Club or Pub?
Generally, if my friends and I are going out, we go ‘out out’ to a club. Getting ready and dancing is more fun, there’s a bonding experience to be had when you’re communicating non-verbally to try and avoid getting hit on by certain guys 😉
But in all seriousness, it hasn’t got to a point where it’s uncomfortable, it just makes for an entertaining story the next day. I think clubbing is one of the defining features of a British university experience, so it’s well worth a try!
Pubs are great before clubs because the booze is definitely cheaper and it’s nice to talk it out before you dance it out. I wouldn’t stay in there all night unless there is a lot to talk about! But then, if there is a lot to talk about, I would rather talk in a dorm room where there is more privacy and less noise.
- Very chill
- Less judgement
- Better for deeper conversations because it’s quieter and more intimate
- Don’t have to move very far to get to bed (definitely the lazy option)
- Always need something to do/talk about else it gets awkward
- Can only really accommodate so many people (my room is tiny)
- Might need to clean up afterwards
Where I go with friends depends on our mood and the circumstances – if we have lectures at 9am the next day, we definitely would not go clubbing because the aftermath is not always pretty…
What are your thoughts on going places to spend time with friends? Do you have a preference? Where do you usually go?