Seeing as my birthday’s coming up this month, I always get the “it must be so annoying having a December birthday!” So true. You’re always overshadowed by another December baby.
1. Joint presents
Everyone else gets 2 presents. I mean, come on. And there’s absolutely no excuse to give a rubbish joint present.
2. Waiting a whole year to receive presents again
If you live in the Western world, there are no other present-worthy occasions until December rolls around again (unless you’re one of those people who celebrate half-birthdays… I mean, who does that?) I was an honourary November baby this year, so avoided that problem!
3. People are asking you what presents you want for Christmas AND your birthday
4. You have an abundance of hand warmers, gloves, hats, scarves, scented candles etc.
Because winter stuff seems to be the only decent gift that shops are selling right now.
5. Even if you get 2 presents, the birthday one is probably wrapped in Christmas paper
Although I have often done that to other people (oops) whose birthdays aren’t even remotely near Christmas… Saving the planet?
6. Part of your birthday is devoted to buying Christmas presents for other people
And then they complain that they’re broke so they can’t get you much. Thanks.
7. People and shops are far more excited about Christmas than your birthday
But this happens every year so we’re just apathetic towards our birthdays now.
8. It’s the school holidays so nobody pays you any attention
And we get none of that sweet classroom cake.
9. It’s impossible to find a weekend for a party because everyone is always away
Organising parties so that people can attend is a nightmare. Another reason for my becoming an honourary November baby this year!
10. Everything’s booked out for some corporate do
And if you do land a table at a restaurant, the wait staff are either highly unenthusiastic or overly festive.
11. If it snows and you live in the UK like me, everything grinds to a halt so people can’t get to the place anyway
Of course, I had to get a complaint about the weather in here somewhere. I’m British.
12. There’s a higher chance that you were a mistake
There’s a strong chance you were a Valentine’s day baby. Think about it… 40 weeks before December right? It’s not something we really want to know or think about, but you could have been an accident 😉
Nothing against baby Jesus, but it would be nice if people actually stopped to celebrate our birthdays too!
Do you have a December birthday? What are your pet peeves? And a tip for everyone who doesn’t have a December birthday – now you appreciate the pains that we go through 😉 Let me know your thoughts in the comments!