This post is mostly aimed at young people between the ages of 15 – 18 in the UK but if you are at university, I’m sure you’ll still be able to find some valuable resources here. Feel free to share this with anyone you know of this age!
So now you know the importance of work experience, where can you find it?
- Studentladder is my favourite site for finding work experience. They sort it by age and by sector, so you can find your ideal work experience quickly.
- Success at school
- Go Think Big
- For more resources check out the National Careers Service
These websites compile company work experience opportunities and you can just scroll through them. You can use them as inspiration for what sort of industry you might be interested in.
Once you’ve figured out your ideal sector, you can use other online searches to find other companies in that sector offering work experience courses that are perhaps more appropriate to you.
This is an equally great way to improve your CV or application to university. Volunteering means that you won’t get paid, but I can guarantee that you will learn something new and meet awesome new people!
- Do-it is great for searching up opportunities in your area straight away
- NCVO – find a volunteering centre
- The Prince’s Trust for helping other young people like you
- NCS runs a great programme
Specific Plan of Action
Once you have an idea of what sort of companies operate in the industry that you are interested in, search them up on Google, LinkedIn and other social media. Bigger companies usually have a work experience programme set up and you can apply via their websites, e.g. BBC, Airbus. Smaller companies are best contacted by tracking down their contact details and emailing them or calling them to see if they can take you for a week. Get your CV and cover letters ready too!
Smaller companies are best contacted by tracking down their contact details and emailing them or calling them to see if they can take you for a week or however long you want to work. Get your CV and cover letters ready too!
For more advice, visit these posts:
- Why you should do work experience
- How to find and make the most of your work experience (Guardian Careers)
- Some application tips (Guardian Careers)
- How to find work experience (Success at School)
- Work experience ideas (Success at School)